Friday, June 26, 2015

Becoming linux user

  Well, I delayed this post for few days, because I was busy with patches for moVirt and switching tasks in the middle is not good... But now I have time and there are important news I want to share.

  First thing that happened in last 2 weeks is that I finished with all base Augmented Reality features for moVirt. Now when you look at barcode you'll see information about host (status, CPU and memory usage), host events on right panel and host VMs on left panel. Also there is a button to open host details page where you could perform different actions with this host and VMs. The hardest thing is to optimize layout for variety of screen sizes and screen resolutions. On my 10" tablet all panels fits perfectly, but for smaller screens we need new design ideas.
Pic. 1. First look of AR screen with all base features.
  Second thing is that I'm Linux user now. For long time I've been avoiding this OS, but now it's time! To test moVirt features I need working setup of oVirt. Since oVirt is a linux software I need it running somewhere. For some time I've been using oVirt LiveCD booted from USB flash on my second laptop, until USB ports stopped working. I was looking for different solutions like running LiveCD .iso from HDD and from virtual machine and I realize that I need proper linux installation on my machine. I don't want to go deep with details, saying only that this way was also full of difficulties. To everyone how will try to install linux: don't try any optional solutions, follow only default, the most simple installation. You see that there is an option to install from .iso on hdd, and there is article in documetation? Don't try this, no one have tested this, you will be covered with bugs. You heard that there is no problem installing linux near windows installation? Don't trust them, erase your entire HDD (don't forget to backup...) and make a clean installation. Otherwise you will step into some bugs and lost dozens of hours.
Pic. 2. Meet the linux.
  After getting over through the troubles I was ready to install real oVirt engine, but with fake VDSM, because for testing purpose I don't need real hosts and VMs. In addition to the guide provided on the web-site we need few more steps:
1. Configure settings in database with this commands
psql engine -U postgres -c "UPDATE vdc_options set option_value = 'false' where option_name = 'SSLEnabled'"
psql engine -U postgres -c "UPDATE vdc_options set option_value = 'false' where option_name = 'EncryptHostCommunication'"
psql engine -U postgres -c "UPDATE vdc_options set option_value = 'false' where option_name = 'InstallVds'"

2. Uncheck "JSON Protocol" while creating host in web admin.

After that it was possible to create fake hosts and VMs to test moVirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment